Sunday, April 20, 2014

A diamond in the rough... from my vinyl vault: David Bowie's, "Let's Dance"

Front cover
Though certainly not rare, its definitely a great album. I actually have two copies of this, one I got at a thrift store in Chesapeake and one from Birdland- I spent only $2 or $3 on each copy (only reason; back when I temporarily didn't have my own turntable, I had my records boxed up and didn't realize I had it after-all).

I remember- I actually first heard this when I borrowed the CD from a friend of mine's older brother, and I recorded it onto a cassette and I would walk around our block after school on Fridays or on the weekend and listen to this on my Walkman pretty often- it was one of the first obviously dated records from 80's I got really into. I don't mean that in necessarily a negative way, but with the production and especially the drum sounds on this- it's chock full of features typical of an 80's record, and the first record with that kind of style and sound- somewhat the "new wave" era, that I got interested in and exposed to.  However, unlike many other records from this period in music- this was a record that was very, with-the-times so to speak- that has also managed to withstand the test of time; not an easy task, as most pop music from this generation becomes the butt of bad jokes, outdated, and/or only thought of highly in terms of nostalgia.

Things kick off with a great boom, the opener and one of the lead singles, "Modern Love", still a classic from the album today; a ridiculously addictive catchy upbeat number, boasting a rip roaring sax from Steve Elson, all within the course of 4 and a half minutes. Worthy of countless repetitions, the strength of the album could stand on the shoulders of this song alone (but don't worry, it doesn't- it only gets better). Things take a semi-surprising turn as the opener fades and glides into, "China Girl", the famous David Bowie/Iggy Pop number; featuring a distinctive tinkering melody, another lead single from the album; Bowie's voice etched in the stone of the song, it's another trademark of the album. Third track in, "Let's Dance" boasts the famous Beatles ah's in it, but more importantly- this slight insertion discredit the song, instead it shows it standing on its own two feet; reinventing that moment musically for a whole new era. "Without You" is a particular tune, that just doesn't quite get enough of the credit it possibly deserves, the insatiable huge hook of, "There's no smoke without fire. You're exactly who I want to be with. Without you, what could I do?" It's a high point of the album, an understated tune and a climax for the first side of the record.

Backside.
Flipping over to side B, things get very rhythmically interesting and quite different with, "Ricochet". The energy gets cranked up with, "Criminal World", a song that also could've been a huge hit from this record. It's a song that boasts all the right moves, it has the perfect feel, the right hooks, the right everything. Things cool down just a bit, as we near the end of the record with, "Cat People (Putting Out Fire)"; Stevie Ray Vaughn really shines on this particular song, and shows of his chop- flaring and waving in and out with his fancy fretwork in between Bowie's crooning. The closing track, "Shake It" ends on an upbeat feel, a grooving funkadelic bass line, both awesome and ridiculously amusing background vocals. The lead guitar weaves intricately in the perfect moments to provide excellent texture for the track, and the synth/keyboard lines provide the same funky-ness the bass groove does. Fading out, it's a record rolls perfectly back into itself again; it has to be played time and time again. Unlike so many other records of its time, though full of characteristics typical of 80's pop records; David Bowie's music, and this album too will always remain timeless classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment