Monday, August 25, 2014

A diamond in the rough..... from my vinyl vault: Sarah Gorby's, "Russian Melodies"....

Front cover of Sarah Gorby's, "Russian Melodies".
Here's an interesting world music album I picked up here in Alexandria, a small trip from my apartment to the closest record store, the Record and Tape Exchange. Although it's a tiny shop with not a lot of choices, I've found a few good picks here and there once in a blue moon. When Stephanie and I first moved here, months later we passed by it on accident and stopped in, and although the world music section was rather small- it was also virtually untouched by any of their other customers or even anyone who worked there. This is another one of these neat records I got  on a whim and I'm glad I did-- as I didn't really know who Sarah Gorby was- but it was only a dollar or two, and certainly appeared up my alley so to speak; world/Russian folk music, the title says it all-- so I decided what the heck, I'll pick this one up.

Although the material itself isn't surprising given the straightforward title, it's still a  great album. The record opens up with a lively number called, "My Sweetheart Lives Up North" featuring a hopping alternating bass line paired with a pulsating thumping folk beat, topped off with a incredibly simple but very effective catchy chorus. Next is the incredibly gorgeous tune, "Autumn Wind" with Gorby's vocals reaching a climatic mournful peak; such a beautifully written piece, one would dare say its possibly the strongest on the album, or at least certainly the strongest on the A-side.

Half-way thru the A-side, we reach the violin led, "Be Sorry For Me"-- a melancholic instrumental soaring that though peaceful and sweet, is the appropriately placed but also only dull moment on the first half of the album. The next two tunes are fun dancey accordion-led Russian numbers, "The Enchanted Circle" and, "Love Of A Gypsy" wrapping up the first portion of the album on a high note.
Back of Sarah Gorby's, "Russian Melodies".

Side B kicks off with, "Black Cat" another foot stomping charming Russian folk tune. Then things calm down a considerable notch, "I Will Not Come Back" another gorgeous tune, similar to, "The Autumn Wind" from the A-side, with bursts of energy and jangling guitars.

Halfway thru the B-Side, we reach, "The Coachman" a beautiful and quite recognizable instrumental piece-- I can't ever place where I first heard it, but it's a very memorable famous Russian song. Next is another highly recognizable song, "On The Road To Her" a beautiful typical Russian song that slows and speeds back up gloriously over and over beautiful bringing us to the closer, "Take Your Guitar"; which wraps up the record on a wonderfully simple rhythmic guitar and Gorby letting her voice take the reigns on this weepingly pretty tune.

I don't know much or own any other material by Sarah Gorby, but after I quickly googled her and based on the wonderfully effortless display of Russian folk on this particular album, I will certainly say it'll be worth keeping both an eye and ear out for more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment